Monday, 27 August 2007

"What Say U Mr Gull?"

I just enjoyed a few days of personal retreat. My loving wife encouraged me to do what i'd never considered since being a hubby & dad - take some time out by myself - so off i went to Sandspit on Tuesday night, Wednesday, Thursday, & then Friday avo i returned home.
It was great - i'd been flat-stick since my last post & hanging out for a chance to breathe!! & this was it!!
Time to read
Time to think
Time to start again to pray
Time to walk
i went for a walk down to "the spit" & sat on the wharf - enjoying time & space to sit in the quiet - to consider God in the universe - to thank Him for the space... When a seagull came & perched itself 3metres from me on this large post. I sat there looking at it, & it sat there looking at me, so i asked it a question:
"What say u Mr Gull - are you aware of your creator? Do you sing His praise? In your existence driven by instinct & innate drives - do you know God?"
not sure what i expected - always hope for something miraculous i guess ...
He didn't say anything, but did do this funky pose - balanced on one leg & fully extended one wing out, while he held the other right in - he held the pose for like5 minutes - i was waiting for him to speak, but then he flew off - so i was left laughing at my own mentality!!
then another one came & hung on the same post - so i asked the same question:
"What say u Mr Gull - are you aware of your creator? Do you sing His praise? In your existence driven by instinct & innate drives - do you know God?"
no response - then i realised i'd offended - for it was not a mr, but a mrs!!! it was obvious for her lips & toes were far more red than the other!!
i apologised, but she flew off soon after!!
again i was left to laugh at my own mentality!!
i picjked myself up & walked back to the bach - thanking God for time & space to think stupid things - to think & talk & pray anything, because there was nothing that needed to be done!!
Oh how that time was good!! Now i need to find & make such time in my normal weeks
Time to read,
Time to think,
Time to start again to pray,
Time to walk,
Time to talk to seagulls!!!
May our smiling God bless you with such time also :-)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Well written article.